The First Cut of Spring
Over the last few days we have had a break in the dampness, and the yellow glow of sunshine has peaked through onto the ground. Damp warm conditions mean that the fertile ground has caused the grass to seemingly sprint in growth.
Though there is the risk of frost damage, we thought that as it was so long it would be wise to give it a trim, before it gets too long and very difficult to cut.
Also it was good to be out in the garden and making stripes across the lawn..To make the stripe the mower has a large flap of plastic/rubber which runs over the cut grass. This is held in place by a metal rod. Sadly during the process of cutting one end of this metal rod broke and the flap started to come away from the mower. Fortunately this was just when I had nearly finished. Only one strip left to do, but I had to stop there as I could not mow anymore with the flap half hanging under the mower.
t will be realtively easy to fix, with a couple bolts, washers and nuts. I was wondering about experimenting with an old leather belt to act as a large washer across the whole of the flap, but we will have to see...As the sun became shy again and hid behind the cloud and the wet stuff reappeared. Not having a garage, it is a job that will be much easier to do outside in the dry..Just have to wait a little longer.
So it is time for that cup of green tea and to think about the next project
You can see the garden for yourself if you book a self catering pet friendly holiday @The Shieling which is attached to Trostrie Cottage http://www.trostriecottage.co.uk
New Coat for an Old Lady
Friends, the recent snow we had in April
seemed to get everywhere.
And not just outside, anywhere it could!
Putting up the weather boearding
In places there was around 5 cm of snow inside, where it had blown in through cracks! (It did not melt because there was a long power cut and no heating) Once the snow had melted we assessed the worst of the problems and decided that we would need to put a complete new skin on the old stables, where quite a lot had got in.
Comparing the old and new
We started at the most exposed end the west gable and gradually worked around
Last part to go
We have now nearly finished the job. One of the last things was the angle flashing, which came yesterday from TAS building supplies. http://www.tasbuildingsupplies.com/ (Fantastic service delivered when they said. ) They just need to be screwed in. These will stop the wind (and snow) getting in under the roof panels. Then finish off putting the wood preserver on the new weather boarding, and hopefully it will be good for another 20-30 years.
The end result
Once finished it blends in with the shrubs. This is my ad hoc update and diary describing how I am developing our garden at Trostrie Cottage in Galloway. You can see the garden for yourself if you book a self catering dog friendly holiday @The Shieling which is attached to Trostrie Cottage http://www.trostriecottage.co.uk/
Lots of Snow
Like a lot of people recently we have been hit by large snow falls, no of power and a subsequent lack of broadband.
The lack of power did not matter too much during the day as we spent all the day light hours digging ourselves out. I don't know how many tons of snow it was but the depth of snow varied from 30 cm to over a metre.
Digging the snow
Eventually after two days worth of digging – around ¼ km our neighbour a farmer was able to finish off digging the track as he had finished digging cars out on the main road.
Well we are now catching up with things, which includes writing reviews of books I have read over the last few days, some of which by candle light.
It all looks very alpine now, with the sun shining on the snow but that is for another entry
Dyslexic doodles on photography, food (growing, cooking & of course eating), faith and other fascinating things. This is a personal blog expressing my views.